extend his stretch of allowing one run or fewer over eight consecutive starts Friday night against the Rays. His current s | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
LHX1990
LHX1990 Sep 13

MINNEAPOLIS -- For most kickers, a game-tying, 58-yard field goal as time expires would qualify as the highlight of their careers. Cheap Thunder Jerseys .For Matt Prater, it just barely made the top five on his list.Praters big leg got the Detroit Lions to overtime against the Minnesota Vikings and Matthew Staffords big arm took over from there in a 22-16 victory on Sunday.Prater has the NFL record of 64 yards and three kicks of 59 yards on his resume, so when he trotted on to the field at indoor U.S. Bank Stadium with the game on the line, it was nothing new for him.Im confident, Prater said. More than likely Im not worried about missing it short. ... I expect to make every kick. I dont overanalyze it or think too much. I just kick it and hope it goes straight.It usually does. Prater is 23 for 23 on game-tying or go-ahead field goal tries in the fourth quarter or overtime, according to ESPN. So when Stafford took the ball down 16-13 with 23 seconds left on the clock, he knew all Prater needed was a chance.Matt Prater will say get to midfield and he will have a chance, Stafford said. He has got a big leg.Once it got to overtime, Stafford hit Golden Tate for a 28-yard touchdown to give the Lions (5-4) their fourth win in five games. Stafford completed 23 of 36 passes for 219 yards, two touchdowns and one interception and Tate had 11 catches for 79 yards.Sam Bradford completed 31 of 40 passes for 273 yards and a touchdown for the Vikings, who have lost three in a row coming out of the bye after a 5-0 start.But the vaunted Vikings defense couldnt come up with one more stop.Its hard to feel good after a loss, but today we looked like we have in the past, Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said.Obviously we didnt get it done and theres no guarantees, but Id rather go into a fight with these guys the way they were today than the last couple of weeks.Here are the top takeaways from the game:WALSHS BREAKING POINTJuxtaposed against Praters dependability in big moments is Vikings kicker Blair Walshs erratic play. He missed his third extra point try of the season, more than any other kicker in the league. He also had a kick that was blocked. Throughout his career, Walsh has impressed with his graciousness in fielding questions after missing big kicks. But on Sunday, he snapped.It didnt go in, right? he said. You guys are going to ask me this question a million times: `Did it feel good? Did I make it? No. Do I have to? Yes. Do I want to? Yes. So, just, if youve got something else, please. Seriously.STAFFORDS COOLThe comeback was Staffords fifth this season when trailing in the fourth quarter, the most in the NFL. The Lions five victories have been by a total of 17 points. Their four losses have come by a combined 18 points.You do not always want to be in those situations, but we have been the majority of the time this year and these guys just believe in each other, Stafford said. I believe in those guys.ZIMMERS REGRETZimmer deployed a prevent defense in hopes of avoiding getting beaten deep by Stafford. When the QB was able to complete two passes to get them into Praters range, Zimmer said he should have tried to apply more pressure.If I had to do it all over again, I would probably rush four and try and get it that way, Zimmer said. He scrambled around and made a play. Thats how it goes.SHARP SHURMURUnlike the past two games, the blame for losing didnt fall squarely on Minnesotas offense.Actually, the Vikings posted their third-highest yardage total of the season during an efficient, rhythmic performance behind sharp play calling by offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur in his first game in the role. He replaced Norv Turner, who abruptly resigned on Wednesday.They used a faster pace between snaps and favored quicker, high-percentage throws, effectively minimizing the pressure on Bradford, who was sacked only twice after taking a total of 11 sacks the previous two weeks.Still, the Vikings werent perfect. They had to punt after starting a drive at the 18-yard line following an interception in the second quarter. Then in the fourth quarter, Matt Asiata was stopped for no gain on fourth-and-1 at the 5.---For more NFL coverage: http://www.pro32.ap.org and http://www.twitter.com/AP-NFL Cheap Thunder Jerseys Authentic . "It was nerve-wracking, but we pulled through," said Collaros, who threw four touchdown passes to lead the Toronto Argonauts (8-4) to a 33-27 win over the Calgary Stampeders (9-3) in front of 28,781 fans at McMahon Stadium. Cheap Oklahoma City Thunder Jerseys . -- Vincent Lecavalier got everything but the desired result in his return to Tampa Bay. http://www.cheapthundersjerseys.com/ .com) - The Edmonton Oilers and Vancouver Canucks both take aim at their first wins of the season on Saturday, as the Canucks open their home slate at Rogers Arena. ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- The Detroit Tigers began an 11-game road trip with a ninth-inning rally to remember.Cameron Maybin capped a dramatic eight-run ninth with a tiebreaking three-run double, and the Tigers overcame a five-run deficit to beat the Tampa Bay Rays 10-7 on Thursday night.Detroit trailed 7-2 entering the ninth and opened the inning with four consecutive hits off Ryan Garton, including Victor Martinezs RBI single.Erasmo Ramirez (7-7) replaced Garton and allowed Justin Uptons run-scoring single, Steven Moyas sacrifice fly and an RBI single to Jarrod Saltalamacchia that made it 7-6.Maybins drive to left-center cleared the bases to put Detroit up 10-7.I was just hoping the snowball would keep rolling down the hill, Tigers manager Brad Ausmus said. The energy is kind of building as you sense there is a chance you can win the game. It just keeps building until you get that go-ahead run.That was one contagious inning for them, Rays manager Kevin Cash added.Garton entered after reliever Matt Andriese went three scoreless innings. Cash said he didnt really consider having Andriese return for the ninth.You have a five-run lead, Cash said. We have pitchers capable of going out and getting the job done.Winner Anibal Sanchez (5-8) gave up two runs in two innings. Francisco Rodriguez got the final three outs for his 22nd save.Maybin was 3 for 4 with four RBI.Nick Franklin had a three-run pinch-hit double during a four-run third inning for the Rays, who had won two of three after an 11-game losing streak.Franklin pinch hit for Desmond Jennings with the bases loaded and put the Rays up 5-0 on an opposite-field flare to left that landed in front of Upton and took a strange bounce past the outfielder.Tamppa Bays Jake Odorizzi gave up two runs, three hits, three walks and struck out seven in five-plus innings. Cheap NBA Jerseys. Jordan Zimmermann allowed five runs and nine hits in six innings for the Tigers. He has given 12 runs over 9 2/3 innings in his last two starts.TRAINERS ROOMRays: Jennings departed with left hamstring tightness. ... LF Corey Dickerson was back after missing three games with a sore left thumb. ... OF Oswaldo Arcia was the DH after missing Wednesdays game due to flu-like symptoms. ... RHP Alex Colome (right biceps tendinitis) played catch at 90 feet. ... RHP Brad Boxberger (left oblique) threw 15 fastballs during his first bullpen session.SIMULATED POWERRays RF Steven Souza Jr. (strained left hip) hit two long homers and went 5 for 9 in a simulated game Thursday. Souza, scheduled to start a rehab assignment Friday with Class A Charlotte, went deep off Alex Cobb and Chase Whitley, who are both coming back from Tommy John surgery. Feel bad for them, Souza said with a smile. Theyll be all right. Souza and Franklin had back-to-back homers during a one-inning stint against Whitley, who did make a nice play in catching Souzas foul pop-up. Cobb threw 36 pitches over two innings and could start a rehab assignment next week.UP NEXTTigers: RHP Michael Fulmer (7-2) looks to extend his stretch of allowing one run or fewer over eight consecutive starts Friday night against the Rays. His current seven-game run ties Justin Verlander (2011) and Al Benton (1945) for the longest by a Tigers pitcher since 1913.Rays: LHP Drew Smyly (2-8) seeks to end a seven-start winless streak. Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys From China Cheap NFL Jerseys Authentic Wholesale Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys China NFL Cheap Jerseys ' ' ' 

Share: